Aug 24, 2006

Blank and the giant




"The woman that I love is forty feet tall..." -Citizen Cope

The first line of this Citizen Cope song haunts me. I like this thought. It is so meaningful and invasive. Instantly my heart feels it... the disproportionate reality that clashes with my expectations of what people should be... my consistent (and not always beneficial) obsession with things and people "larger than life."
(photo from movie adaptation of Dickens's "Great Expectations")
It's so easy to fall in love, so easy to stay in love, with an illusory idea or person. It is that one, that giant or giantess...

I'm in love with that.

Incidentally, this song is called "Pablo Picasso" - as we all know, I'm completely obsessed with Picasso right now... his perception of reality was just this skewed... light, dark, swirls, colors, marred visions of reality, mixed-up images of humans, breasts, eyes, noses all out of place... too big, too strange to be real. That's what life looked like through his eyes.

Bigger than real. More than normal. Beyond rational? Brave, beautiful... like, for instance, 40 feet tall...

"... she's a movie star, she's all in the papers and everywhere I go, people hand me quarters/And they pat me on the back, they treat me like I'm famous/I never leave her side, 'cause dude it can be dangerous/And when the night arrives the light hits her features and/...."
(more of the CC song)


Wreaked. Marred. Squabble but it's what I see.


No comments: