Apr 29, 2007

Birthday! Good gifts...

Happy happy Joy joy
L-R whole group plus Jimmy

The girls - L-R, Morgan, Katie, Amanda, me, Candice, Ginger


The pictures have arrived
Hot tub at the end of a wonderful day



From my big brother yay




Joy on my chocolate and heart sprinkled bed





At the most wonderful hotel ever






Ginger and Joy in the taxi, stage one of the best Bday with my girls




Joy and Amanda yahoo




Joy and Ginger hooray




Ginger and Amanda in our beautiful hotel room











Before I get too chronologically messed up, I wanted to begin a blog about my birthday. Now, this isnt exactly her fault but Im still waiting on the MAIN pictures, which are on Gingers camera. Hopefully those are coming soon.



My 22nd Birthday was an extravaganza. Having Jimmy on this trip has many many advantages, not the least of which is doting attention and on-demand back-massage privileges.



I woke up the Monday before my Thursday Birthday this year to a huge yellow poster that said, "22 surprises for 22 years of life!" And that was the beginning...



1. Morning hug, 2. Scripture encouragement, 3. "What I like about Joy", 4. Starbucks! 5. A new dress! 6. Earrings to go with your new dress, 7. a necklace to go with your new dress! 8. New shoes! 9. Salad lunch 10. Serious conversation 11. Diet Coke! 12. Another new outfit! 13. Nail polish... the day included 22 such surprises, a day in the mall, trying on dresses, being adored and affirmed, and then culminated in a web-cam Skype home! It was the most amazing day! Can anyone believe how thoughtful and beautiful he is to me? These are big shoes to fill. I dont have adequate words to honor him as he deserves. He is truly loving. And there is no more Christlike character quality than that.




Soooo I think that was a fabulous Birthday and I am completely content.



But is it over? Oh no.



Wednesday afternoon I receive a card from Ginger that says, "your survival kit must include..." and a variety of items... including a bathingsuit, workout clothes, magazines-reading material, and overnight toiletries. So, puzzled to say the least, and a little bit sad about missing my family and having to work a double-day building a church in Lomo, I drink up my Coke Light and continue on with my day.






And then, the morning comes... and the first surprise of the day is beautiful Brienna with a venti latte from Starbucks! (and this certainly is a sacrifice because she HATES getting up early). Then Annie hands me a box of chocolates and tells me to enjoy them today...and instead of putting on work clothes and getting in a bus up to Lomo I pack my pink duffel and put on my Birthday dress as the girls pick me up and hail a cab. And we are off!



I have no idea where we are going but continual hints of mountains and tents scare me a bit... but I will have a good attitude.



And then...



We pull up in downtown Lima to Los Americanos. The doorman in a suit opens the door and takes my bag and I see 5 of the most beautiful gleaming shapes on the door... 5-Star hotel, baby. Carpet, hot water, TOWELS (how long has it been since Ive had a towel??), a kitchenette, real beds, SHEETS, a TV, curtains, glass windows, wood furniture (any furniture!), a COUCH...






They are so thoughtful. My bed is littered with chocolate, there is Coke Light chilling in the fridge. Our hotel is next to a gymnasium and I am on for a Pilates class the next morning. There is a sauna and hot tub on the roof. I am in heaven.






We spend the next 24 hours in complete and utter bliss. It is enjoyable, relaxing, and lovely. I feel God in these girls. They get me to a computer, they find a man to give me his cellphone so I can call my mom on my Birthday... every single wish I could ever have desired has been abundantly fulfilled... beyond my wildest dreams.



Amanda and Ginger are true friends. I almost cry when I think about the fact that they have only known me for a mere 4 months are willing to so extravagantly bless me, and so specifically to my desires. I am in awe.



And, what is more, I am in awe of God. He truly does give good gifts to his children.






Thank you to everyone who made this the most undeservedly fabulous 22nd Birthday ever!

No comments: