Jul 11, 2006

Help



"I was pushed hard, so that I was falling, but the Lord helped me." (Ps. 118:13)

7/5/06 was a great revelation day...

Gen. 19:16 - So the cities of S & G are about to be destroyed by God's angels because of iniquity. Abraham cut a deal that if 10 righteous persons could be found God would refrain... but no such number was found. God's amazingly merciful compromise was to take Lot and his family out of the city before it was destroyed. So the fire begins to fall and the angels press for them to leave... but this is Lot's home; it's the place he chose when Ab said, "we must part ways, whichever way you go, that land is yours." He lived in the midst of evil people and the Word says that his righteous heart was grieved by their conduct. And yet. And yet. Something held him to this place because in 19:16 we hear this scenario: "When he [Lot] hesitated, the men grasped his hand.. and led them safely out of the city, for the Lord was merciful to him."

God had given so many chances for rescue, so many opportunities for Lot to get out or righteous people to present themselves for the sake of the city, to no avail. One would think that his patience, worn thin by S & G's debauchery, would not last. But here, in this amazingly extravagant act of mercy, God not only presents a way out for Lot but grasps him and leads him out of danger.

I don't think of God like that often. I feel the need to beg for help and hope for a small chance of rescue. But this scenario would suggest otherwise.

I journaled, "When God bestows mercy on me, my chances are many and his patient persistance is great. He - in his heart - wants to help me... and even when I hesitate in doubt, he will help me!"

"For surely it is not angels he helps but he helps the offspring of Abraham" (Heb. 2:16).

I trust that he will help me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work. thnx!
»

Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»