Feb 6, 2007

MX norms


I feel like I want to compile a list of MX stuff. I´m already in Guatemala... good trip (long trip, good grief). But I don´t want to forget things I thought about MX while there for a month.

Mexico (Aguilar, Chiapas)

Mexico is...

-The land of many speed bumps (there are speed bumps everywhere! And you don´t slow down in advance... the driver slams on his brakes just before and then creeps over the bump. Why?)
-The land of corn tortillas. Every taco stand on the side of the road sells tacos with semi spicy salsa, super greasy, wrapped in a napkin... a corn tortilla and either carne or intestines of some sort all wrapped up for about 4 pesos.
-The currency, obviously, is pesos. During our time here it´s been about 10.74 ex rate.
-Mexicans are, as a rule, pretty friendly people. It seems rare to speak English, though.
-Mexico is low class. In general, it is a very poor country compared to other Latin countries. There is a lot of rural living that really only consists of the basic necessities of life. I wouldn´t consider it impoverished by any means but it is very minimal living. There are, however, many available European style toilets.
-Oranges. A lot of oranges. (the fruit)
-Mexicans are big on eating meat and it seems pretty accessible. The best foods I ate here were tamales (cooked in a banana leaf) and tacos.
-Plantains and bananas look very similar here. Jon had a funny incident with that.
-The Mexican church leadership seems to be vastly under trained. Few have had theological education and there seems to be a lack of unity between denominations... a very lamentable lack of support systems for pastors, especially those working in rural areas.
-Much more mountanous and gorgeous than I thought! Lush and green... we were here during a rainy season so there was a lot of mud but there are always many many bodies of water. I didn´t expect that.
-TURKEYS EVERYWHERE. Gobble gobble all night long.
-Nasty, mangy dogs roam the streets by the dozens.
-Most kids wear clear plastic sandals. Most adults wear muck boots (presumably because they work in the fields).
-There is a huge cultural norm of cabeilleros or cowboys! They ride horses with Mexican style blankets on them, wear cowboy hats and big belt buckles, play mariachi music and sleep in hammocks (we lived with one such man). It is very Mexican. Very machismo.
-Bright colors... Mexicans appreciate bright houses, signs, and clothes. Very very saturated colors.

I liked Mexico much more than I expected to.
God, I pray your divine presence settle on Mexico in a powerful way. Revive the Mexican Church. God I leave my blessing on Mexico.

No comments: