Apr 19, 2006

Say

I like my life. I genuinely do. I don't say that glibly or thoughtlessly. I have a very definite routine right now, here in FL, but it is so good. I love all of my kids. I love being around the family, with all of their drama and humor. (Can I just say? In my humble opinion they are the wittiest, funnest people alive) (And funnest is actually a word - I checked).
Today was a good day.
I think it's important to speak things affirmatively: like saying "this was a GOOD day"... I call this day good. Beyond the basics of categorizing things into "good" versus "bad", I think it trains me to take my words seriously. Romans 4 describes God as He who "speaks those things that are not as though they were." James says that "Life and death lie in the power of the tongue." The Spirit inspired the words, "Let your yes be yes and your no be no, anything beyond this is of evil".
I want to take seriously the power of the tongue... the power of my words.
It's most obviously seen in kids: they literally live for approval and are crushed by hurtful tones or words.
I am not careful about what I say too much of the time.
I am afraid to be silent... afraid to miss speaking truth or correction... ought I not rather fear that I will be held accountable for every idle word I speak? Ought I not rather hesitate a moment, recognizing the genuine power of what I am about to say?
Well, yes I ought.
But I'm not very good at doing what I ought to do.
So I'm not very good.
But this day was.

No comments: